Equifax announced late last week a cybersecurity incident potentially impacting approximately 143 million U.S. consumers due to the exploitation of a website application vulnerability during the period of mid-May through July. During this breach the hackers gained access to certain files, which included some or all of the following personal information:
- Social Security numbers
- Birth Dates
- Driver’s License numbers
- Credit Card Information
At this time Equifax has reported no evidence of unauthorized use of consumer data linked directly to this data breach incident.
You are in a Strong Position
Through your membership at TNConnect, we offer identity theft coverage on all of our accounts through ID Safe. With this coverage, you always have access to Fully Managed Recovery (FMR) service to combat the devastating impact of identity theft. With Fully Managed Recovery, you have access to a trained and certified Recovery Advocate who can work hand-in-hand with you to identify and resolve identity theft, even if it is not related to accounts at TNConnect. This service is $2/month and covers your entire household.
To aid in your understanding of this data breach and the services to which our members are entitled, we have attached the following:
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Overview of Fully Managed Recovery Services — to provide a more detailed look at this valuable benefit through ID Safe
If you or anyone in your family suspects they may be a victim of any type of ID Theft, please contact TNConnect Credit Union at (865) 688-2424. In addition, please see the extra steps section below to further protect yourself and your identity.
Extra Steps to Stay Safe and More Secure Online
– Monitor your credit card and other financial accounts closely to see if you have any suspicious activity.
– Protect your email account by strengthening your password or enabling two factor identification.
– Be cautious of unsolicited email offers and suspicious links
– Update your antivirus or malware software on your devices
For more information on how you can stay safe online please visit: https://staysafeonline.org/